Sunday, June 14, 2015

Blog Assignment #6

Being a children's pastor, I use object lessons to teach the children a lot. An object lesson is doing something that the children can physically see changes or unnatural things happen instead of just lecturing. Even though with Project Based Learning, it is the children who are doing the projects, I think it is the same concept. I feel this way because Anthony Capps states in Project Based Learning Part 1 that project based learning is when the children are doing the projects and learning from them, not showing what they have learned. I really like the idea of project based learning because most children will remember the process and outcome of a project better than remembering a lecture.

After watching the conversation between Dr. Strange and Anothony Capps about iCurio, I think I have learned a lot. I have never heard of iCurio.com before. I think it is a very interesting website. I like how students and teachers can save files to the site. I know being at a university, I have to save or "favorite" items on the internet to my computer all of the time. So to have files on the website to save things to would be really useful. I also like the fact that it is a filtered site and you can find audio and video along with text.

When watching the conversation video Discovery Ed, I remembered that when I was observing a third grade classroom last semester, my teacher used Discovery Ed. I was intrigued by the site; however, I was unable to ask her about it and unfortunately, I had forgotten about it. So, I enjoyed watching this video because I wanted to know more about this site before this class. I think Discovery Ed is a very useful website. I love how it has so many resourceful videos available to teachers and students. As Anthony Capps said, it is like "bringing in experts into the classroom via video."

As stated about Project Based Learning, children learn better when they can physically see something rather than just hear it. Learning about the different resources available to us has made me excited to become a teacher. I am looking forward to using project based learning, iCurio, and Discover Ed in my future classroom.

Project Based Learning

4 comments:

  1. Hey Krystal, You have a very good post. I have heard of and used object lessons myself and find them to be very helpful. Most children do understand things better when they can see an object, or see someone actually perform a task. I think that iCurio and Discovery Education will be very helpful tools in our future classrooms. Good Luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing some videos. Those discussed were well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post. I think Discovery Ed is a very beneficial and knowledgable website. My mom is a 4th grade teacher and I have heard her talk about this website and how her students love using it in the classroom! Great post!

    ReplyDelete