Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Practice Blog Post

Who Am I?
       My name is Krystal Taylor and I live in Robertsdale, Alabama. I graduated from Robertsdale High School in December of 2012, after which I attended Faulkner State Community College. After getting my Associate's Degree, I transferred from Faulkner State in the Spring of 2015. I am the youngest of four children in my family, the closest one in age being five years older than me. All of my siblings are married and have children, leaving me with five nieces whom I love dearly. My brother and sister-in-law found out recently that they were expecting their second child; we are all hoping it is a boy. Although I am not married, I do have a long term boyfriend of over four and a half years and I am hoping one day soon, I will not be far behind my siblings.


     I live a very fast paced and busy life style. I am currently working two jobs until the end of the summer. Since October, 2012, I have worked as a student hire at Baldwin EMC, an electric corporation in Baldwin County. Being a student hire means that while I am a full time college student, I work part time during the fall and spring semesters and full time in the summer. I recently picked up my second job as a hostess at Ivey's Fine Dining in Robertsdale. With both of my jobs combined, I work a total of forty-five to fifty hours per week. Something interesting about me is that along with my jobs, I am also the children's pastor at my church, Robertsdale First Assembly of God. Adding on to my hectic summer schedule, I will be taking children from my church to camp and hosting Vacation Bible School.

     After being a children's pastor, I have realized my passion for working with children. I chose to become an educator because I want to be able to teach children the skills and morals they will need when they become adults. I want to be a part of changing the future because the children of today are the adults of tomorrow. I chose to enter the field of education because I want to be "that" teacher that people remember when they are older as the one who pushed them to their limit and made them think outside of the box.

     Being an educator in the 21st century, entails a mixture of skills and knowledge. Being a teacher entails having organization and preparation skills. Being a teacher also requires time management, your own and your students' time. Being a teacher means committing time outside of school hours to prepare for classes. Today, teachers need to have knowledge of not only the material but also new technology to keep the material educational and relevant. Teachers need to be able to use this knowledge and incorporate technology into lessons to keep the children interested. I am looking forward to learning more about the technology in classrooms today and learning how to incorporate them into my future lessons.

Practice Post: About Me Outline
 
  1. About Me
    1. Live in Robertsdale
    2. Robertsdale High School
    3. Faulkner Community College transfer – Spring 2015
    4. ¼ siblings in my family
      1. 5 nieces
    5. Boyfriend of 4 ½ years
  2. About Me continued
    1. Busy life style
    2. 2 jobs (43 hours/week between the two)
    3. 2 summer classes (usually full time)
    4. Children’s Pastor
      1. Camp and VBS
  3. Why I Chose Education
    1. Teaching skills and morals
    2. Help change the future
    3. Want to be “that” teacher a child never forgets (make them think outside the box)
  1. Educator’s Work Entails – 21st Century
    1. Organization and preparation
    2. Training and Management (Time and Classroom)
    3. Knowledge of Material
    4. Knowledge of Technology to be relevant

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have an extremely busy schedule with two jobs and college! Both my sisters are married so i have seven nieces and nephews, so we share that in common! You are right about how teachers need to devote time outside of school to prepare for class, and i think the amount of outside work in this class prepares us for that! Hope all goes well!
    Rachel Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Today, teachers need to have knowledge of not only the material but also new technology to keep the material educational and relevant." Yes this is very true. In EDM we will take a look at how to best make technology relevant to what you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krystal! Good luck your with your hectic schedule. You make some really good points in your last paragraph about incorporating tech into the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sound like you have a very busy schedule this summer. I couldn't agree more that a teacher has to put time aside outside of the classroom to prepare for their next classes and they must have time management skills. Good luck this summer!

    ReplyDelete